[Dixielandjazz] Re: Gunter and the Unwritten Rules

Bigbuttbnd@aol.com Bigbuttbnd@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:06:44 EDT

Listmates....

I think Mr. Gunter is having fun with us... I know my leg is beginning to
hurt and one of them seems to be getting longer from the pulling.

Bill... we bow to your technical law definition. Yes, we have the freedom to
hand out our card on any gig to anyone we choose. It is perfectly legal to
snake the gig, any gig, any time. It's a risky proposition, though, 'cause
the bandleader also has the right and freedom to refuse to hire us again (and
based on the opinions here, mine included, that's exactly what will happen).
Any musician considering this action should be ready to go for broke in this
coup d'etat 'cause they are cutting their own throat, burning the bridges
that got them where they are today.

In fact, there's a wealth of examples of the same kind of behavior in other
professions... it's not ILLEGAL for a lawyer to climb down under a car at the
scene of an accident and hand the pedestrian victim a card.

Probably not illegal for an undertaker to hand his card to the victim's
family at that same accident just as the EMT's pronounce the poor guy dead.

Probably not illegal for a passing ambulance driver from a competing firm to
give his/her card to the grieving widow with a hushed "In case you have other
relatives who might be hurt in the future..."

There does seem to be a right time and a wrong time to do things. Most of us
agree that soliciting the gig while on the gig under someone else's
leadership and employ is the WRONG time, even though it may be perfectly
legal to do so.

Heck, we even had a case a few years ago in Atlanta when 2 ambulances, each
from a different county, both answered an accident call on the border of the
2 adjoining counties. The ambulance crews got into a big fight as to which
ambulance was going to transport the victim. Soon a 'tug of war' broke out as
the crews kept pushing and pulling the victim back and forth across the
county line. This caused so much bad publicity that both counties agreed to
back off. A few weeks later there was a similar wreck on the border and both
ambulance crews got in another fight.. but this time each kept insisting that
the other shouold take the victim... kind of like the old Smother's Brothers'
routine when Dick tells Tommy to "take it!" and Tommy refuses and tells Dick,
"No. YOU take it!"

Bill, it was a great discussion... thanks for the entertainment.

Rocky Ball
Atlanta