[Dixielandjazz] Pigeon holes

Tito Martino tmartino@terra.com.br
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:44:24 -0300

Pat Cooke  stated:

<<<I don't know any musician who does not try to make the band sound
good.  I believe what you're saying is that his idea of what sounds good
does not agree with yours.>>>

Dear Pat,

Any musician playing to himself to promote his own ego is playing
against the Band. These musicians I don't want as sidemen.

In MY Band I decide what sounds good. If someday you invite me to play
in your Band, I will do my best to tune my creativity within the limits
of YOUR conception of good sounds.  If I can! Otherwise I'm not the best
choice you made.

But some people just CAN'T play in different styles; it takes to be
really good.   Both Bechet and Armstrong played as sideman to others,
and Jelly too lately, and they all did it very discreetly.

Tito Martino