[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:33:53 +0000

Hi All,

Randy Milan writes (and write well):

----> snip

>I guess I agree with most of the crowd here.  This philosophy:
>
>FACTS OF LIFE:
>
>No job is permanent
>Nobody has a "right" to a gig
>Nobody has a "right" to a job
>A job is worth only what someone is willing to do it for.
>In a free competitive society a person with a service or a product is
>ALWAYS
>FREE TO ADVERTISE IT.
>
>Would get you kicked out of the band I was running if you did it to me.
>Sure go ahead and promote your band.  No one disagrees with that. But do
>it on my time and you are gone and will never be asked back.

-----> end snip

And none of you view this position as arbitrary and dictatorial?

When I am a sideman on one of your gig just how much of my soul have I sold
to you?  I don't think I have sold my freedom to give someone a card. I
don't even think it's something that can be sold!

Cheers,

Bill "Here's my card" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com