[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:37:59 +0100

Bill said
>When I am a sideman on one of your gig just how much of my soul have I sold
to you?  I don't think I have sold my freedom to give someone a card. I
>don't even think it's something that can be sold!

I would expect loyalty Bill. If someone books me to play drums with their
band, it is first of all an honour and a privilege and should not be abused.
Secondly you submit your freedom to play for example tunes that you want to
play which may not be in agreement with what the bandleader wants. Its what
Baby Dodds called playing for the benefit of the band - and that extends to
poaching gigs.
cheers

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ