[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:07:50 +0200

Henry wrote:

It would have been
much better if that sideman had approached the manager on another
day, even bringing by a promo pack and CD, if available.

Exactly!  There is absolutely no harm in that, and the sideman has the
advantage of already knowing the manager, or at least be able to say I
was here the other day with so & so.

I doubt if any of these people that would drop a card during a gig would
do it in the open in front of the person that had hired them for the
nite, so therefore, I perceive it as a "covert action", and is to be
looked upon as a nasty deal.

Here, we don't have gobs & gobs of people able to fill in when one of
our guys is missing, so we have hired the same person again.  We just
keep our eyes open with him, even if he can't do us any harm.

Jim