[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

Henry B. Stinson HenryStinson@BlueHeavenMusic.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:59:55 -0400

James Kashishian wrote:

> So, it is not hypothetical, nor is it cricket, good manners, proper
> etiquette, clever, smart, cool, or anything else.  If a person comes at
> a later date, and reintroduces himself & drops his line, that's fine.
> Just isn't nice to do it while with another band.  Play your gig and
> keep your trap shut!

While basically I agree with Bill Gunter, reading Jim K's words
causes me to realize that the manager who was handed the card
sees this as an act that is not only sneaky but shows disrespect
by one of the band members for its leader.  Thus, it throws a sordid
light on both, but especially on the sideman.   It would have been
much better if that sideman had approached the manager on another
day, even bringing by a promo pack and CD, if available.

Henry B. Stinson, BSECE, Senior Software Engineer (VB)
  Web Page Design and Quality Software Development
  www.TheVeryBestHomeBusiness.com
  Jazz vocalist (tenor), jazz harmonica, jazz whistling, and "mouth trumpet"
ORPHEUS JAZZ ENSEMBLE and BLUE HEAVEN JAZZ BAND
  http://www.BlueHeavenMusic.com   +
  http://www.blueheavenmusic.com/Artists/Henry_Stinson/HS__HOME.htm
Tel (msgs): 703-742-4670,   Hm: 703-893-8930 (Ring once, then call again)