[Dixielandjazz] Handing out cards

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:04:55 -0400

Bob Romans asked if it is ethical for a sideman to hand out his card at
a gig where you are the band leader.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

Nor is it ethical to hand out you own card as band leader if you were
booked at a gig by an agent. You hand out the agent's card.

The only exception to the above is where you, as band leader, give
permission to a sideman to hand out a card. Or where an agent who booked
a gig, gives you permission to hand out your card.

It happened to me one one occasion and I never used that sideman again,
and told him why. The musicians I work with here all know that it is
unethical to try and steal gigs.

Kind of like those Enron Execs who formed their own corporations to do
business with Enron and pocketed millions of dollars, while stockholders
took it in the shorts. No matter how you look at it, it is unethical, it
is stealing, and if the perpetrator is smaller than me, I might even try
to punch him out.

Failing that I would be tempted to get Guido after him. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
clarinet/leader
Barbone Street Jazz Band