[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland was George Lewis

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:09:00 -0400

Hi Brian:

I don't disagree. The trad jazz educators site and Wyndham are pretty much in
agreement. The trad site a little too structured and complicated for my taste.
Example, "New York Style" is different from "Nicksieland"? To me they are the
same thing with minor differences. And two different Chicago styles?  For me,
all the bands playing a particular style play it differently, however, that
does not justify another "style" name. And some folks might argue about the
site's contention that the later Chicago style was developed in New York.

Stride pianists playing in a Dixieland band play Dixieland. But played alone,
Stride takes on a distinct musical style and it is not Dixieland. Same for the
singers, if they sing in a Dixieland Band, it is Dixieland. If singing in a bop
band it is bop, blues band it is blues etc.

There is room for all musicians within "Dixieland", if they play polyphonic
counterpoint. Trad jazz may be an all encompassing term but to the 40 year olds
today, it means Bird and Diz.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone