[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland was George Lewis

D and R Hardie darnhard@ozemail.com.au
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:45:22 +1000

Dear Steve,
I think Sudhalter felt that the later Chicago
style was developed in NY by refugees from
Chicago. There may be  problems with any
definition but I agree with  Brian.  We do need to
have some idea of what we are talking about.
People here think of Dixieland as different from
the later New Orleans style of  Bunk Johnson or
that of  Turk Murphy. Dave Robinson's list is the
best attempt to define the various styles I have
yet seen. Perhaps it could be simplified but as I
think he has left the list I don't think he can
engage in the debate. I have just asked him by
email if he is on the djml now. I don't know what
do do about those who confuse Bop with traditional
jazz - perhaps a hearing aid? How do you explain
it to them?
regards
Dan Hardie