[Dixielandjazz] Re: Hamp

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:45:50 +1000

Dear Fred and Steve,
For the last few days I have been reading the posts about Hamp's "Flying Home".
It never impressed on me, ever, so I thought I had better replay it. Have I been
I missing something all these years?
Still nothing, compared to say (off the top of my head):
Bud Freeman "Stop, Look and Listen" - Tommy Dorsey.
Any Johnny Hodges, Eddie Miller or Chu Berry .
And what about Lester on the Johnny Guarnieri (note the spelling, Don) Swing Men
recordings for Savoy on 18 April 1944. (Exercise in Swing/Salute to Fats/Basie
English). All takes different and available on a double Savoy LP with Billy
Butterfield, Hank D'Amico and Cozy Cole!
All relative in OKOM, I suppose.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: re the unusual instruments post.
What about Roland Kirk and the stritch (his modified, straight alto sax with
extra keys for one-handed playing)?