[Dixielandjazz] FW: A question needing an answer

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:03:31 +1000

Dear Don,
Regarding: >But another had a poster of Geo. E. Less and His Novelty Signing
Orchestra.
>Several photos showed musicians with an array of brass and reeds, with a
sousaphone, gal piano player and drummer out front.
Too much of the malt old mate???  8>)
The band is George E Lee and His Novelty Singing Orchestra.
Recorded in Kansas City on an unknown date in 1927.
I assume the photo is the one with 2 tbns on the LH (top) side.
At the time the record was made the band had George E Lee, ts; Sam Utterbach, t;
Thurston 'Sox' Maupins, tb; Clarence Taylor, ss/as; Julia Lee (George's sister
and very well known later), p/v/pac; unk, bj; Clint Walker, tu; Abe Price, d.
I have more, but am off now to see the new film "Sum of All Fear' (or something
like that) with our mate Darky McCarthy.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS for the Pom (new recruit) who dares put Whisky in his Coke:
I am from Australia, my wife is a born Scot and will not even put ice in her
whisky.  8>)