[Dixielandjazz] NY Times Obituaries

Rob McCallum rakmccallum@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:46:40 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C2586B.E8B95440

Hello all,

Did anyone else hear the NPR report several months back regarding the NY =
Times obituary department?  Apparently they research, in advance, the =
lives of aging celebrities and keep them on file for future use.  When =
the celebrity actually passes they simply fill in the details regarding =
the circumstances and bring up the research file.  From a practical =
point of view, it makes perfect sense, but is a bit on the creepy side.  =
I suppose it's like buying a plot and a headstone with your name on it =
in advance and visiting your "place" in the cemetery.  Loved ones need =
only fill in the date.  My grandmother-in-law did that.  Convenient but =

All the best,

Rob McCallum

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C2586B.E8B95440

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Did anyone else hear the NPR report =
several months=20
back regarding the NY Times obituary department?&nbsp; Apparently they =
research,=20
in advance, the lives of aging celebrities and keep them on file for =
future=20
use.&nbsp; When the celebrity actually passes they simply fill in the =
details=20
regarding the circumstances and bring up the research =
file.&nbsp;&nbsp;From a=20
practical point of view, it makes perfect sense, but is a bit on the =
creepy=20
side.&nbsp; I suppose it's like buying a plot and a headstone with your =
name on=20
it in advance and visiting your "place" in the cemetery.&nbsp; Loved =
ones need=20
only fill in the date.&nbsp; My grandmother-in-law did that.&nbsp; =
Convenient=20
but ...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rob McCallum</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C2586B.E8B95440--