[Dixielandjazz] Pete Fountain

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 16:34:30 -0400

Charlie Hull wrote (polite snip)

"Pete (Fountain) would have been much better off, from
this listener's point of view, with any of several outstanding rhythm
sections at the festival, but I guess he knows what he wants.

I certainly found no fault with his playing.  I love the liquidity of
his
sound.  One of my heroes."

Charlie & List mates:

Ditto on Fountain. He is extraordinary. Would that I could play clarinet
like him. Perhaps he is like Bechet in that he surrounds himself with
lesser players with the idea that he will sound that much better by
comparison? Or maybe to pay the sidemen less?  Bechet did it for almost
all of his life, with great frequency, when he led various bands on live
gigs.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone