[Dixielandjazz] New insult against "Taps" & Buglin' Sam

Ron L'Herault lherault@bu.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:35:21 -0400

That device sounds like a trumpet made for Maxwell Smart on "Get Smart",
a TV program from the late 60s.  He was a bumbling secret agent who, in
this case was masquerading as a musician.  He merely spoke the title to
a tune and the trumpet would play it.  Of course every time he said
goodbye to someone, he'd say "I'll be seeing you", whereupon the horn
would start to play.

Ron L  (Sorry about that, Chief")
-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-admin@ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-admin@ml.islandnet.com] On Behalf Of
JimDBB@aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 7:37 PM
To: dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] New insult against "Taps" & Buglin' Sam

A news report tonight reports that the Govt. has developed a small gizmo
that
reproduces "Taps".  The idea as I understand it is that a non-bugler can
hold
a bugle or trumpet and the gizmo will play "Taps" will play through the
instrument.  The rational behind this is that there are not enough
buglers
around to perform at military and veterans funerals. Of course, there
aren't
enough buglers...none of the military forces have trained buglers
anymore.
Trumpet players from military bands are usually used but their aren't
enough
bands around either.

The UK has trained buglers throughout their military units as do most
European countries.

How many Dixieland Jazz fans remember Buglin' Sam?  Buglin' sam was
active
years ago in New Orleans and appeared often with Sharkey and Tony
Almerico.
He had an old army bugle and did the bugle Call Rag, of course, but had
other
gems as well.  His recording with Sharkey of "Has anybody seen my
kitty." is
a classic and if anybody has as copy...please contact me.

JIm Beebe