[Dixielandjazz] Buglin' Sam

George Thurmond gmthur@delrio.com
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:41:22 -0500

Jim Beebe asked -

> How many Dixieland Jazz fans remember Buglin' Sam?  Buglin' sam was active
> years ago in New Orleans and appeared often with Sharkey and Tony
Almerico.
> He had an old army bugle and did the bugle Call Rag, of course, but had
other
> gems as well.  His recording with Sharkey of "Has anybody seen my kitty."
is
> a classic and if anybody has as copy...please contact me.

    I recall Buglin' Sam well - anyone who ever saw him coould never forget
his blasting out those notes on his old army bugle.  I heard him a few times
at the old Parisian Room on Royal in N. O. back in the early and mid 50's
when he was featured with Tony Almerico's All Stars - a band that could
swing with Tony on trumpet, Tom Delaney on t-bone, Pee Wee Spitelera(sp?) on
clarinet, Roy Zimmerman on piano, and one of the Loycanos on bass..  I
forget the names of his guitar player and drummer.  The Parisian was not
airconditioned, but had big fans in the room's back wall, and the windows in
front were open.  When Sam blew you could hear him all over the Quarter!
Sam played "Basin Street" and "Waffle Man Blues" every Sunday afternoon at
the Parisian, and wore his standard white street vendor waffle man uniform.
Those were great days back then.

    Sorry, but I haven't got a recording of "Has Anybody Seen My Kitty".

George Thurmond