[Dixielandjazz] New insult against "Taps" & Buglin' Sam

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:36:30 EDT

A news report tonight reports that the Govt. has developed a small gizmo that
reproduces "Taps".  The idea as I understand it is that a non-bugler can hold
a bugle or trumpet and the gizmo will play "Taps" will play through the
instrument.  The rational behind this is that there are not enough buglers
around to perform at military and veterans funerals. Of course, there aren't
enough buglers...none of the military forces have trained buglers anymore.
Trumpet players from military bands are usually used but their aren't enough
bands around either.

The UK has trained buglers throughout their military units as do most
European countries.

How many Dixieland Jazz fans remember Buglin' Sam?  Buglin' sam was active
years ago in New Orleans and appeared often with Sharkey and Tony Almerico.
He had an old army bugle and did the bugle Call Rag, of course, but had other
gems as well.  His recording with Sharkey of "Has anybody seen my kitty." is
a classic and if anybody has as copy...please contact me.

JIm Beebe