[Dixielandjazz] How not to perform our National Anthem

Don Kirkman donkirk@covad.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:30:26 -0700

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:16:20 EDT, JimDBB@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/25/02 12:52:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
>Kmstrmldr@aol.com writes:

>> Perhaps one problem is that we "use" our national anthem too much.  On
>> friday nights in this country, it is sung hundreds of thousands of times at
>> football games.  It is sung at virtually every sporting event.  Maybe we
>> hear it so much that some think it is O.K. to make a jazz piece out of it.

>   A very good point, Don and thanks for pointing it out. It would be nice if
>we could get it out of all of these sporting events and save it for more
>meaningful occasions.

If memory serves, it wasn't used at all at these "trivial" events until
sometime around WW II, but of course it wasn't even our national anthem
until 1931.

We can hope that both the overdone foul public language and behavior and
the current overuse of the anthem will eventually trigger a reactive
trend toward sanity if not decorum.
--
Don
donkirk@covad.net