[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #289 - 11 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:42:48 EDT

--part1_141.1438873.2aeaf8b8_boundary

In a message dated 10/25/2002 3:02:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> In a message dated 10/24/02 02:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> nancyink@ulink.net writes:
>

> > Could you gentlemen
> > please tell me where we're supposed to draw the line? What songs are
> > touchable vs. untouchable?
>
> Its a matter of class..........some has it and some doesn't.  If you want
> know what class is............ask your grandmother.  Grandmothers always
> know.
>
> Perhaps one problem is that we "use" our national anthem too much.  On
> friday
> nights in this country, it is sung hundreds of thousands of times at
> football
> games.  It is sung at virtually every sporting event.  Maybe we hear it so
> much that some think it is O.K. to make a jazz piece out of it.
> It is more patriotically inspiring to hear a russian choir sing their
> national anthem than to hear what many have done with ours.
> Now before I am chastised for going too far afield in my non-DJML
> musings.............I will stop.   Incidentally, Bob, I enjoyed Molly on
> the
> tube the other night.
>
> Don Hale

Dan Spink Offers then his opinion:
Perhaps we should think of our National Anthem as a sound symbol rather than
a piece of music---like our flag is a visual symbol with about the same set
of meanings. If we ask that question about the flag, we quickly see how
confusing the whole subject gets; are beach towels that look like flags
inappropriate? What about shirts or underwear? What about burning the flag (a
subject I really get upset over)? Then we can go in the other direction; what
about the Berkleyites who after 9/11 refused to allow their fire department
to attach flags to their fire engines as a patriotic symbol. Give Peace A
Chance was their counter slogan. When the smoke clears, a national symbol is
just that--a symbol. You can fiddle with it, turn it upside down, even try to
mock it. But it's still what it is to millions of Americans. I'm one of them.

Dan Spink

--part1_141.1438873.2aeaf8b8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/25/2002 3:02:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In a message dated 10/24/02 02:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, <BR>
nancyink@ulink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&gt; Could you gentlemen<BR>
&gt; please tell me where we're supposed to draw the line? What songs are<BR>
&gt; touchable vs. untouchable? <BR>
<BR>
Its a matter of class..........some has it and some doesn't.&nbsp; If you want to <BR>
know what class is............ask your grandmother.&nbsp; Grandmothers always know.<BR>
<BR>
Perhaps one problem is that we "use" our national anthem too much.&nbsp; On friday <BR>
nights in this country, it is sung hundreds of thousands of times at football <BR>
games.&nbsp; It is sung at virtually every sporting event.&nbsp; Maybe we hear it so <BR>
much that some think it is O.K. to make a jazz piece out of it.<BR>
It is more patriotically inspiring to hear a russian choir sing their <BR>
national anthem than to hear what many have done with ours.<BR>
Now before I am chastised for going too far afield in my non-DJML <BR>
musings.............I will stop.&nbsp;&nbsp; Incidentally, Bob, I enjoyed Molly on the <BR>
tube the other night.<BR>
<BR>
Don Hale<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink Offers then his opinion:<BR>
Perhaps we should think of our National Anthem as a sound symbol rather than a piece of music---like our flag is a visual symbol with about the same set of meanings. If we ask that question about the flag, we quickly see how confusing the whole subject gets; are beach towels that look like flags inappropriate? What about shirts or underwear? What about burning the flag (a subject I really get upset over)? Then we can go in the other direction; what about the Berkleyites who after 9/11 refused to allow their fire department to attach flags to their fire engines as a patriotic symbol. Give Peace A Chance was their counter slogan. When the smoke clears, a national symbol is just that--a symbol. You can fiddle with it, turn it upside down, even try to mock it. But it's still what it is to millions of Americans. I'm one of them.<BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink</FONT></HTML>

--part1_141.1438873.2aeaf8b8_boundary--