[Dixielandjazz] Moments With The Greats

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:52:36 EDT

--part1_69.2f6f73c1.2aeadee4_boundary

In a message dated 10/25/02 10:20:10 AM Central Daylight Time, Pepett writes:

> Jimmy,
>           I never ever believed that Bill was the best Cornet player ever,
> BUT he was one of the few who could practically make you cry when he played
> a ballad such as "Yesterdays"  Blue & Broken Hearted" "Just A Gigolo" etc.
>        AND I think most would have to agree that no one, not even Louie
> could maintain such fire for the length of a tune, not only for a 16 bar
> break!!
>        Hope you are felling well,
> Best,
>         Perry

    Thanks Perry.  I was on a two month concert tour with Wild Bill in 1972.
Eddie Condon and Barney Bigard were on it and Art Hodes was leader.  We did 6
concerts a week around the country and every night Davison played a heartfelt
"Blue Again".
He delivered every night with the same intensity and put everything he had
into whatever he was playing.

   Jazzology has two CDs out, "Stars of Jazz, Vol 1 & 2,  from one of these
concerts.
    Wild Bill does "Blue Again" very slowly, beautifully and he builds up to
a fiery ending, and with Hodes rumbling a bluesy background on the piano it
is just superb.

   Bill was at times tough to get along with but he was one of a kind, a true
original. No one ever played like him before or since.  You can hear his
influence in a number of fine players such as Tommy Saunders, John Waters and
others.

   JIm Beebe

--part1_69.2f6f73c1.2aeadee4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/25/02 10:20:10 AM Central Daylight Time, Pepett writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Jimmy,<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I never ever believed that Bill was the best Cornet player ever, BUT he was one of the few who could practically make you cry when he played a ballad such as "Yesterdays"&nbsp; Blue &amp; Broken Hearted" "Just A Gigolo" etc.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; AND I think most would have to agree that no one, not even Louie could maintain such fire for the length of a tune, not only for a 16 bar break!!<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hope you are felling well,<BR>
Best,<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Perry </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks Perry.&nbsp; I was on a two month concert tour with Wild Bill in 1972.&nbsp; Eddie Condon and Barney Bigard were on it and Art Hodes was leader.&nbsp; We did 6 concerts a week around the country and every night Davison played a heartfelt "Blue Again".<BR>
He delivered every night with the same intensity and put everything he had into whatever he was playing.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jazzology has two CDs out, "Stars of Jazz, Vol 1 &amp; 2,&nbsp; from one of these concerts.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Wild Bill does "Blue Again" very slowly, beautifully and he builds up to a fiery ending, and with Hodes rumbling a bluesy background on the piano it is just superb.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Bill was at times tough to get along with but he was one of a kind, a true original. No one ever played like him before or since.&nbsp; You can hear his influence in a number of fine players such as Tommy Saunders, John Waters and others. <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_69.2f6f73c1.2aeadee4_boundary--