[Dixielandjazz] How not to perform our National Anthem

Kmstrmldr@aol.com Kmstrmldr@aol.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:51:14 EDT

--part1_12b.19a527cf.2aeade92_boundary

In a message dated 10/24/02 02:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
nancyink@ulink.net writes:

> Could you gentlemen
> please tell me where we're supposed to draw the line? What songs are
> touchable vs. untouchable?

Its a matter of class..........some has it and some doesn't.  If you want to
know what class is............ask your grandmother.  Grandmothers always know.

Perhaps one problem is that we "use" our national anthem too much.  On friday
nights in this country, it is sung hundreds of thousands of times at football
games.  It is sung at virtually every sporting event.  Maybe we hear it so
much that some think it is O.K. to make a jazz piece out of it.
It is more patriotically inspiring to hear a russian choir sing their
national anthem than to hear what many have done with ours.
Now before I am chastised for going too far afield in my non-DJML
musings.............I will stop.   Incidentally, Bob, I enjoyed Molly on the
tube the other night.

Don Hale

--part1_12b.19a527cf.2aeade92_boundary