[Dixielandjazz] The National Anthem

Jazzjerry@aol.com Jazzjerry@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:19:52 EDT

In a message dated 24/10/02 9:28:30 PM, Pepett@aol.com writes:

<<  The National Anthem of a country, ANY country should be played,
and/or sung EXACTLY the way it was written, using the exact words of the
composer and ADOPTED by the people responsible for such actions  >>

Creight suggested that I ought to get involved in this discussion probably
because he expected me to stir things up a bit. We have had a discussion on
the DJML about the rather awful National anthem of the USA and the equally
dire British one and I believe the final consensus was that you could have
done better in picking a better and certainly more singable one than the one
your politicians selected not all that many years ago. The American National
Anthem was originally an English drinking song which was the theme song of a
London drinking song. It has been suggested that the original words were sung
by way of a test as to the state of intoxication of the singers but I don't
know the truth of that. I have heard it sung with the original words by a
folk singer in a bar/restaurant in Colonial Williamsburg and the original
words do not improve it as a tune!

Of course because of the history of such a song or hymn which becomes a
National Anthem  whether it is the british or American one there cannot
really be a real 'definitive' version. Ours is a hymn which which has rather
Christian overtones in  a country which is now multi-faithed.  Should it only
be played on a church organ or only by a military band and the same question
could be put with yours.

Maybe a solution would be to set up a Government Committee who would decide
after suitable consultation with all the interested parties what is the
definitive version of the National Anthem. Their decision could then be
enshrined in a suitable piece of legislation and it would then be an offence
to perform it in any way which deviates from the laid down 'authorised'
version.

Lets get back to some music which contains improvisation which is what we are
surely all about!

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,