[Dixielandjazz] The National Anthem

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:16:08 -0500

on 10/24/02 6:19 PM, Jazzjerry@aol.com at Jazzjerry@aol.com wrote:

> Lets get back to some music which contains improvisation which is what we are
> surely all about!

What we are talking about, Jerry, is appropriateness-inappropriateness.  We
are talking about taste and the lack of it.  We are talking about purpose:
elevating your nation, or hyping your own ego.  This has absolutely nothing
whatsoever to do with whether an anthem is good or bad, singable or not, ill
or well chosen--any of those things.  We are talking, in short, about common
sense, which, apparently, is less common each year and never more clearly in
short supply than in opening ceremonies.

cordially,
Charlie