[Dixielandjazz] Our National Anthem

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:50:38 -0400

Bill Gunter wrote: (polite snip)

> Hi Listmates,
>
> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
> Established themes (such as the anthem) take on a life of their own and will
> elicit an emotional reaction from most Americans regardless of the musical
> "worthiness" of the melody. Otherwise we wouldn't get so ticked off when
> somebody takes excessive liberties with it.

Which was, of course, my point. We get upset because we think that changing the
way we believe the song should be played/sung somehow degrades it. That is my
personal view also. But, it seems, most of the population could care less. Else
why would famous singers do it? They would not jeopardize their standing or
commercial value with mass audiences.

Perhaps the rest of the country recognizes that changes to an old British
Drinking song are better than the original?  ;-)  Or are we just elitists?

Cheers,
Steve