[Dixielandjazz] Our National Anthem

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:28:02 +0000

Hi Listmates,

Steve Barbone wrote:

>I think "America The Beautiful" should be our National Anthem. Or,
>failing that, we should hold a national competition among Americans to
>write an original score for Key's words . . .

Ah me . . . for what it's worth the National Anthem is what it is and any
attempt to change it at this point would only tick off large percentages of
the population and whatever would be selected as a replacement melody would
not be accepted by everyone who submitted a suggestion.

Established themes (such as the anthem) take on a life of their own and will
elicit an emotional reaction from most Americans regardless of the musical
"worthiness" of the melody. Otherwise we wouldn't get so ticked off when
somebody takes excessive liberties with it.

Same thing with "Amazing Grace" -- just because it can be sung to the tune
of the Gilligan's Island theme doesn't mean that it should be done!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Love That Anthem" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!