[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy -- a loss of a good player

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:57:27 -0400

Sad news about our friend Tommy Loy.

Thanks to Rebecca, I had the chance to call and talk with Tommy last week to
say my goodbye.
Pancreatic cancer is ruthless, relentless and seldom has a good outcome, but
if there is anything merciful about it, it is that it takes its course fast
without the long term lingering and pain of other forms of concer..

I lost a first cousin to the same disease two years ago and a close friend
three years ago.

I met Tommy in Davenport in 1973 (not the first time as it later turned out)
when his North Dallas Jazz Band and my Jack Pine Savages Jazz Band played
the Bix fest. We got to talking horns, mutual acquaintances and spent some
good moments together. It was a delight to find him here on the list later
and we had kept touch here for several years.
But it was not my first meeting with him. It turned out that
I had met him in the '50's when I played a trade show while with the Ted
Weems band and he was also playing it with the (original) Cell Block Seven.
This was an earlier version than the he current CA version. These guys were
out of the local college band program in the University and dressed in
convict stripes and wore plastic chains and balls on their legs. A good, hot
little band.
   In our later chats it turned out that he remembered being on the musical
bill with the Weems band though he didn't recall me, just our drummer, Jake
Hanna.
   I can only express my sincere regret that we have lost this fine player,
Texican gentleman, and lover of our jazz traditions. A great loss to us all,
but he leaves us with a fine set of good memories -- in person or in his
words shared with us all on the list.
   I hope that Rebecca will convey my personal regrets to Tommy's family and
my hopes for their peace and acceptance.
   As Tommy told me on the phone last week, "See you on the other side."
Indeed I will, Tommy, Indeed we all will.
Don Ingle