[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy a great loss

Artwoo@aol.com Artwoo@aol.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:06:00 EDT

--part1_55.2f36bb8d.2ae0b878_boundary

Dear OKOMers;

I had the chance to meet Tommy Loy about a year ago when he came to
California.

After his performance with the Cellblock 7, I went on stage and shook his
hand and said to him what a great player he is.

May I say that Tommy was extremely gracious and open. It was clear that this
man was not aloof or consumed with his talent. He was genuinely friendly and
had a warm heart and firm handshake.

He talked with me like I was an old friend and he gave me honest answers. We
talked about various trumpet players in particular my favorite Bobby Hackett.
Tommy relayed an incident about Bobby's interest in the technical side of
recording and the fact that Bobby had a vast collection of cornets and trpts.

Tommy from my perspective was the kind of man who has no enemies. I am sure
that now he is playing alongside with all the great ones and having a good
time.

Adios compadre,

Art Wood

--part1_55.2f36bb8d.2ae0b878_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Dear OKOMers;<BR>
<BR>
I had the chance to meet Tommy Loy about a year ago when he came to California.<BR>
<BR>
After his performance with the Cellblock 7, I went on stage and shook his hand and said to him what a great player he is.<BR>
<BR>
May I say that Tommy was extremely gracious and open. It was clear that this man was not aloof or consumed with his talent. He was genuinely friendly and had a warm heart and firm handshake.<BR>
<BR>
He talked with me like I was an old friend and he gave me honest answers. We talked about various trumpet players in particular my favorite Bobby Hackett. Tommy relayed an incident about Bobby's interest in the technical side of recording and the fact that Bobby had a vast collection of cornets and trpts. <BR>
<BR>
Tommy from my perspective was the kind of man who has no enemies. I am sure that now he is playing alongside with all the great ones and having a good time.<BR>
<BR>
Adios compadre,<BR>
<BR>
Art Wood</FONT></HTML>