[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #270 - 21 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:45:11 EDT

--part1_17.3006a689.2adc78c7_boundary

In a message dated 10/14/2002 3:01:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:59:12 -0400
> From: Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet@earthlink.net>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Chords Again. James P Johnson to Dizzy Gillespie
>
> List mates:
>
> Discovered an interesting twist on the Gm6 chord with the E in the root,
> (first mentioned by John Farrell) that James P. Johnson wrote in the
> 12th bar of the chorus to "Charleston". circa 1924. The notes of that
> chord, per the original sheet music are:  E, G, Bb, D. Now, note the
> following quote from Dizzy Gillespie in 'Downbeat', May 1961. He was
> talking about Thelonious Monk and "modern chords".
>
> "I can remember when nobody except us played the chord progression Am7
> to D7, to Db. That was one of the chord progressions I showed Monk." And
> thern Dizzy continued:
>
> "But Monk was the first to use Em7 with a flatted fifth, or as some call
> it an E half-diminished. Monk just called it a Gm6 with an E in the
> base."
>
> What are the notes to an Em7b5?  Same as Gm6 with the E in the base.  E,
> G, Bb, D.
>
> Gm6 with E as the root?  Isn't that what James P called the Em7b5?  Well
> before Monk? And since JPJ was one of Monk's first heroes, it would
> follow that Monk picked up on it from him, no?
>
> Why didn't they call it Em7b5? On JPJ's part, perhaps because in
> Dixieland or Jazz at the time, there was a rule that you didn't flat
> fifths?  What was it Eddie Condon said: "We don't flat our fifths, we
> drink them?" ;-)
>
> If the notes to Em7b5 are the same as Gm6 with the E in the base; E, G,
> Bb, D, doesn't it follow that in "Charleston", 1924, JPJ was really
> flatting the 5th?
>
> I don't claim to be the chord maven, and probably I am missing something
> so you chord guys, help me out will you? Otherwise I'll have to think
> either that JPJ was among the harmonic grandfathers of bebop, or that
> Monk played Dixieland. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Dan Spink replies:

Most enlightening comments, Steve. Thanks for the background. I am reminded
of my own shock when I first learned that Beethoven used a thirteenth chord
for first time in his first symphony (and emptied the concert hall). It was
shocking because it sounded like a mistake. But we get used to dissonance
quickly it seems. The flatted fifth sounded like an angry rebellion to
accepted harmony at first, did it not? (Correct me if I'm wrong on this,
please.). But then it got to be almost part of a foundation scale in the
bopers improvisational style. I doubt that Johnson was thinking like that. He
just happened to hit the same (or nearly the same) notes. It's awfully hard
to be a be-boper when you're a stride composer. You just don't think like
that.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_17.3006a689.2adc78c7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New CE" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 10/14/2002 3:01:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Message: 5<BR>