[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #270 - 21 msgs

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:10:04 EDT

--part1_168.158baf10.2adc7e9c_boundary

In a message dated 10/14/02 2:46:40 PM Central Daylight Time, DWSI@aol.com
writes:

> Most enlightening comments, Steve. Thanks for the background. I am reminded
> of my own shock when I first learned that Beethoven used a thirteenth chord
> for first time in his first symphony (and emptied the concert hall). It was
> shocking because it sounded like a mistake. But we get used to dissonance
> quickly it seems. The flatted fifth sounded like an angry rebellion to
> accepted harmony at first, did it not? (Correct me if I'm wrong on this,
> please.). But then it got to be almost part of a foundation scale in the
> bopers improvisational style. I doubt that Johnson was thinking like that.
> He just happened to hit the same (or nearly the same) notes. It's awfully
> hard to be a be-boper when you're a stride composer. You just don't think
> like that.
>
> Dan (piano fingers) Spink

   If you are thinking that Beethoven used an alleged 13th chord in the same
structure as beboppers would, I think that you are quite wrong.  I also don't
believe that he 'emptied' the hall.  Ludwig was a top name and preeminent
pianist of that period and he never 'emptied' halls...he filled them.

  Playing the extended notes of a 13thd chord as passing notes in a melodic
line is not the same as banging out a 13th bebop chord.  They would be
considered passing notes and not part of the basic chordal structure.

JIm Beebe

--part1_168.158baf10.2adc7e9c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/14/02 2:46:40 PM Central Daylight Time, DWSI@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><B>Most enlightening comments, Steve. Thanks for the background. I am reminded of my own shock when I first learned that Beethoven used a thirteenth chord for first time in his first symphony (and emptied the concert hall). It was shocking because it sounded like a mistake. But we get used to dissonance quickly it seems. The flatted fifth sounded like an angry rebellion to accepted harmony at first, did it not? (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, please.). But then it got to be almost part of a foundation scale in the bopers improvisational style. I doubt that Johnson was thinking like that. He just happened to hit the same (or nearly the same) notes. It's awfully hard to be a be-boper when you're a stride composer. You just don't think like that.<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink</B> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; If you are thinking that Beethoven used an alleged 13th chord in the same structure as beboppers would, I think that you are quite wrong.&nbsp; I also don't believe that he 'emptied' the hall.&nbsp; Ludwig was a top name and preeminent pianist of that period and he never 'emptied' halls...he filled them.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Playing the extended notes of a 13thd chord as passing notes in a melodic line is not the same as banging out a 13th bebop chord.&nbsp; They would be considered passing notes and not part of the basic chordal structure.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_168.158baf10.2adc7e9c_boundary--