[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #270 - 21 msgs

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:49:49 -0500

Dan Wrote:
> [...]
the modern jazzists in spades now. Sorry guys!<<<<

Dear  Dan......
     Don't get me wrong...I love a good stride piano player , but only as a
solo player.  I don't ever want to play bass with a stride piano player, or
a 'stride' guitar player either for that matter.  We will only get in each
other's way.  There are a couple of good stride piano players in New
Orleans...One of them in particular plays stride ALL THE TIME.......through
all the horn solos,  and everything else.  He drives me crazy.  I don't know
why they hire a bass player.....for the kind of music they're playing, they
really don't need one.
     I made a recording once with a boom-chuck guitar player in the band.
When they played it back, I said "I didn't play those bass notes!"  Turned
out the guy had a CW background, and couldn't play any other way.

     Pat Cooke