[Dixielandjazz] Charleston (12th bar chord)

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:33:02 +0000

Hi Listmates,

John Farrell originally asked what the chord was in the 12th bar of The
Charleston. I responded "G7."

The other responses have been quite varied, most seeming to favor Gm6 and it
has also prompted some general discussion on chord formation.

I'd like to know what the chord is in the 11th bar of The Charleston. Is it
possibly a G7 chord with the Gm6 as a "passing chord" in the 12th bar
leading to the Dm which starts the next phrase?

FURTHERMORE - are we talking about the Verse or the Chorus? I assumed the
chorus when I said the 12th bar was a G7. In the 12th bar of the verse, on
the other hand, I would use a Gm. If some of you are talking "verse" and
others of us are talking "chorus" we've been engaged in a rather pointless
debate.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "What do I know, I play the washboard" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com