[Dixielandjazz] Charleston (12th bar chord)

John Farrell stridepiano@tesco.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:32:20 +0100

Bill Gunter said :

"John Farrell originally asked what the chord was in the 12th bar of The
Charleston."

Just to set the record straight, it was not me who asked the question. I
entered the discussion later.

Bill continued :
"I responded "G7."

The identity of the correct chord has already been thoroughly thrashed out.
It is Gm6/E.

He then asked :
"I'd like to know what the chord is in the 11th bar of The Charleston. Is it
possibly a G7 chord with the Gm6 as a "passing chord" in the 12th bar
leading to the Dm which starts the next phrase?"

Taking James P.'s version as definitive, the first three beats of the 11th
bar are Gm, the last beat is Gm/Eb (a passing chord). The whole of the 12th
bar is Gm6/E, thus it is not a passing chord. Interestingly in the first
chorus only, James P. does not play Dm in the 13th bar - he plays D major
(in the remaining choruses he plays Dm).

Bill's next point, "are we talking about the Verse or the Chorus", did not
occur to me as all who contributed to this thread assumed that the original
question referred to the chorus. Bill is almost correct with  "In the 12th
bar of the verse, on the other hand, I would use a Gm."  In fact the first
three beats of this bar are Gm, the last beat is Bbm.

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net