[Dixielandjazz] chatting

David Story daveplaysthepiano@hotmail.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:33:54 -0400

Amen! I've been working on a musical project for years now. What is it?
Perfecting the art of paying attention during solos. Here in Toronto Jazz
horn players on notorious for dispassionate behaviour during other
musician's solos. Typical

1. staring at the TV set
2. Getting down on one knee and apparently praying and/or witnessing
3. talking
4. staring at the ceiling
5. Yawning
6. Going for a drink
7. and my favourite, bowing their heads like they are in church

The result I can tell is to turn the audience OFF.

regards,
David Story, still excited to be up there after all these years.
PS I will be performing with the Jazz Extension at Van Gogh in Mississauga
this Saturday night 7 to 11 pm. Our group includes the venerable Danny
Mastri on bass. 84 years and going strong he is.

Vango Restaurant & Bar Phone: (905)278-2296
 71 Lakeshore Road East, Mississauga, ON L5G 1C9

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kashishian" <kash@ran.es>
To: <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 10:37 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] chatting

Right! Do that chatting during the bass solo, like most horn players
do! :-)

I object!  While chatting can easily be a trap to fall into, I make a
special effort to be "involved" with everyone's solo.  In fact, that's
what makes a gig fun.  For example, by chance, the piano plays just a
hint of a riff while playing a solo.  It's great to be able to leap in &
play the riff with the horns while the pianist goes on with his solo.
It's called "interreaction", and if you don't have that, you ain't got a
group!!

Talking is for after the gig, and the girl will probably still be there!

My mother came to a gig I had in 1958.  After the gig she said that I
shouldn't talk to others while people were soloing.  I was 17.  Lesson
learned & remembered!

Jim