[Dixielandjazz] chatting

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:37:39 +0200

Right!=A0 Do that chatting during the bass solo, like most horn players
do!=A0 :-)

I object!  While chatting can easily be a trap to fall into, I make a
special effort to be "involved" with everyone's solo.  In fact, that's
what makes a gig fun.  For example, by chance, the piano plays just a
hint of a riff while playing a solo.  It's great to be able to leap in &
play the riff with the horns while the pianist goes on with his solo.
It's called "interreaction", and if you don't have that, you ain't got a
group!!

Talking is for after the gig, and the girl will probably still be there!

My mother came to a gig I had in 1958.  After the gig she said that I
shouldn't talk to others while people were soloing.  I was 17.  Lesson
learned & remembered!

Jim