[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Humor

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:36:15 -0500

=46olks--
    Found a site with jazz humor:
http://jazzinstituteofchicago.org/index.asp?target=3D/jazzgram/humor.asp

Here's one list i like, with some new ones (i'm a tuba-player, so i figure=
 some of these are possible offenses for me also).  They brightened my day,=
 as it always does when i can imagine other people screwing up worse than=
 me.    Dan
----------
Bass player offenses/fines list, forwarded by Bill O'Connell-Chicago=
 Skyliners Big Band

Name of offender _____________________________
Date of offense(s) _____ / _____ / _______

Musical offenses
Playing loudly during warm up - $10
Sound-checking amp with funk slapping - $25
Loud cursing after mistake - $10
Playing high and fast after mistake - $20
Practicing 2-handed tapping between tunes - $20
Asking for "E" tuning note - $25
Playing E anyway when horns tune to Bb - $50
Playing written-out walking line - $50
=46ailure to play written walking line - $75
Writing note names over ledger-line notes - $50
Writing beat numbers under dotted figures - $50
Playing eighth notes - $5 each
Playing sixteenth notes - $10 each
Playing above 1st octave-immediate dismissal
Dragging fast tempo - $75
Dragging ballad tempo - $100
Blacking out during ballad - $200
Ignoring drummer's tempo - $100
=46ollowing drummer's tempo - $250
Asking to borrow Real Book for All Of Me - $1000

Upright player offenses
Showing up before first downbeat - $25
Playing audibly - $25
=46aking changes - $25
Slapping - $150
Missing tutti lick, then mentioning vintage of bass - $25
Excessive sweating - $25
Pedal point double-stops during horn solo - $50
Asking leader for a solo - $30
Accepting solo when offered - $50
Taking second chorus - $100
Playing solo arco - $400
Pretending to check tuning after playing out of tune - $25
Playing "A Train" ending on every tune - $200
Playing extended "A Train" ending on every tune - $500

Electric player offenses
Checking hair between tunes - $15
Experimenting with odd meters - $25
Missing root at end of blistering fill - $25
Playing with a pick - $50
Tuning during ballad - $30
Playing Jaco groove on samba - $75
Playing Jaco samba groove on ballad - $150
Attempting last word on final chord - $50
Achieving last word on final chord - $100
Long gliss down to final note - $200

Equipment violations-electric
=46orgetting strap - $10
Changing strings after every set - $15
Using electric tuner - $15
Setting up mic "just in case" - $75
=46orgetting to turn amp on - $40
Bringing amp larger than 1 person can carry in 1 trip - $50
Asking horn player for help moving amp - $25
Bringing custom-made bass - $100 per string above 4
Bringing more than 1 bass - $100 per extra bass
Skull decals on bass - $150
Bringing fretless bass - $500

Criminal bad taste
Telling bone player about all the gigs you get - $10
Asking bone player about their day gig - $10
Sitting behind drums on break - $10
Quoting "Birdland" - $25
Practicing scales during break - $25
Practicing scales during drum solo - $50
Practicing - $150
Beginning a sentence with "When I was a guitar player" - $50
Casually mentioning to Musical Director of cheap theater that you are "into=
 sequencing" - $100

Basic stupidity
Wearing old Buddy Rich tour shirt - $10
Wearing new Whitesnake tour shirt - $20
Asking when the rock set starts - $20
Continually asking "where are we?" - $25
Continually shouting "Yeah!" - $25
Asking bone player where "1" is - $50
Taking cellphone call during 4's - $100

Copyright =A92002 Jazz Institute of Chicago. All rights reserved.	JAZZGRAM