[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of quotes

Stan Brager sbrager@socal.rr.com" <sbrager@socal.rr.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 07:28:09 -0700

Speaking of Louis Armstrong, there's the oft-told story about when he first
joined the Fletcher Henderson orchestra in New York. At one of the first
rehearsals, Armstrong was able to read it OK except that he was playing
much to loud in certain passages. When Henderson asked him about playing so
loudly in when the score was marked "pp".

Louis said, "I thought that pp meant 'pound plenty'." ('another rimshot)

'nuff said.

Stan
Stan Brager
Trombonist-in-Training