[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of Quotes

Burt Wilson futurecon@earthlink.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:55:34 -0700

The 1966 edition of my Silver Dollar Jazz Band icluded Dick Cary, Smokey
Stover, Max Murry and Robbie Rhodes. We followed Wild Bill into a club in
Southern California. During an intermission a fan asked if we would play
"Battle Hymn." I went to Dick and asked him if he'd mind playing it (knowing
Wild Bill's reluctance in these situations.) "No, I don't mind," Dick said
graciously, adding, "there's only one tune I relaly don't like."

"Which tune is that?" I asked. "Never mind," he answered, "you haven't
called it yet."

Of course the rest of the night each time I called a tune I was wondering
which of the abundance of tunes out there it was the one Dick didn't like.
The next night, same thing. But in the middle of the third set, I called
"South."

"That's it," Dick whispered under his breath."

Dick Cary was also the author of that famous remark about Burt Bacharach's
music. "It sounds like a third alto part," he said.

Burt Wilson
trombone
Author of "Shakey & Me."