[Dixielandjazz] Message 1 Chords

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:54:40 -0500

>>>To take it all one step further, as you add extensions, or dissonance to
any "basic" triad, sixth or seventh chord, you very likely will drop some of
the intervals inside the chord because they aren't heard or, sometimes
conflict with, the extension. The fifth, for example, is often dropped, and
so is the third. What then happens is you wind up with fewer notes than you
might think. A great example is the so-called thirteenth, which is really
just a displaced sixth, or you could say, vice-versa. You can call it a
sixth or a thirteenth and not be totally wrong, <<<

      Not so!.....True, the fifth and the root are often dropped, but NEVER
the third.  The third identifies the chord as major or minor.  If it's a
dominant chord, the seventh is always included.

      A major chord may have a major 7th, or a 6th.  It may also have a 9th,
in which case the root is dropped to keep a 4-note line, and because it's
less complicated to finger.

      BTW, you say the Gm6 is OK, but the C9 is not.  Both chords are
fingered exactly the same on a guitar (root omitted on the 9th).

       Frequently the melody note is a ninth, even though the chart says
it's a seventh chord.  Well, if the ninth is the melody note on a 7th chord,
the chord is a ninth.....and it should have been labeled as such.  If the
melody note is a 6th on that 7th chord, the chord is a 13th.  The melody
note is always part of the chord.  Guys who print fake books print one chord
to every one or two bars.  That doesn't mean you HAVE to play a major triad
for the first 8 bars of Small Hotel, as the fake book says.  There are many
ways of doing it and keeping the audience awake.

       In a line with 4 voices, it's a better sound if the whole harmonic
line has 4 voices.  It doesn't hurt to drop a root or a fifth.  Your ear
will 'hear' them even though they are not articulated.

        The notes of the chord never interfere with the extension, unless
you try to jam them all into the same octave.

        The 13th is not 'just a displaced 6th'.  The b7 is included for the
dominant sound, and the '6th' (13th) is added, but in the next octave so as
not to dissonate with the b7.  You can't call a chord a 6th if the seventh
is included.  This all may sound complicated at first, but if you work with
it a while, it gets a lot simpler.  This sounds baffling to a lot of horn
players, but a guitar or piano player understands it well.

         I recommend anybody who plays any kind of jazz to study guitar or
keyboard to get a feel for chords.  You don't have to become a virtuoso,
just get used to playing some chords along with your CDs.  I guarantee your
horn playing will very noticeably improve.
        Pat Cooke