[Dixielandjazz] Message 1 Chords

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:03:24 -0500

>>>True, the fifth and the root are often dropped, but NEVER the third.  The
third identifies the chord as major or minor.<<<

      I'm quoting my own message here, because I thought of an instance
where the 3rd is dropped.  It is when the third is suspended, or raised a
half tone.  I guess it's not really dropped, just altered.  It's sometimes
called an 11th.  My Apologies.
      Pat Cooke
            Pat Cooke