[Dixielandjazz] Message 1 Chords

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:16:28 EDT

--part1_164.1548c37a.2ad45edc_boundary

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:07:28 -0400
From: Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Chord Question - Charleston, Bar 12

Pat Cooke wrote:

"Well, a Gm6 is the same chord as C9, or an Em7b5; and you could use a
Gm9;
but the best chord is really a C13.  (Ask any guitar player!)."

Listmates & Pat:

Yeah, right on. However, careful Pat, you are treading on an "old"
shibboleth that Dixieland does not include those "extensions". So a Gm6
with a root like John Farrell suggested is more in keeping with
"tradition" than the C9 or C13.

C13? Heresy.  ;-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

I hope this clearly identifies the subject this time.

I'm all the way with Steve on this one. The guys who play those big "modern"
chords on guitar have a lot more strings to work with and, I suspect, hate
simple chords like triads and sevenths in the first place.

To take it all one step further, as you add extensions, or dissonance to any
"basic" triad, sixth or seventh chord, you very likely will drop some of the
intervals inside the chord because they aren't heard or, sometimes conflict
with, the extension. The fifth, for example, is often dropped, and so is the
third. What then happens is you wind up with fewer notes than you might
think. A great example is the so-called thirteenth, which is really just a
displaced sixth, or you could say, vice-versa. You can call it a sixth or a
thirteenth and not be totally wrong, although a few purists will want to put
it in the context of the larger harmonic framework for analysis. Do we really
need that kind of analysis? I think Dixieland and early Jazz was loved
because it was pure, heartfelt, fun and open music. No hiding behind funny
dissonances.

All the best to all,
Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_164.1548c37a.2ad45edc_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Message: 1<BR>