[Dixielandjazz] Playing Too Long

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:53:26 -0400

Hi Pat & List mates

I hear you. I schlep a "portable" sound system to most gigs. It is a 250 watt
Fender Passport system and weighs about 50 pounds for the speakers and amp in a
suitcase like arrangement. Carry that in first with my clarinet.

Then 2 more trips for mike stands, speaker stands and band signs. People ask
why I get there an hour early. Simple, to schlep the stuff in, set up, and then
chill out for a half hour or so, hit the head, wash up and relax with my usual
7 Up. Or if I'm feeling good, a scotch and water.

Main thing is to hydrate by drinking lots of water during the gig. Got to keep
my strength up for bead throwing, ogling the girls, and oh yes, saying
something to them via the ax.

Older age playing is not for sissies. Maybe we should hire a schlepper to do
the heavy lifting?

Cheers,
Steve

PS. Like you, my chord knowledge and ear are better than ever, but articulation
suffers a bit, While I'm not playing as well as I used to in that sense, I, and
the band do a lot better than the young bands with which we compete in our
territory. As the kids in our audience say. "Hey, you old guys are awesome".