[Dixielandjazz] Playing Too Long

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:29:31 -0500

>>> And the point of my message is not to infer that >because we all age and
mainly are not as good at 70 as >we were at 40, that we should hang
> up our axes!!!

     I'm 75, and I believe I play better now than I did then.  Studying
guitar has given me much more chord knowledge, and a better feeling for
chords.  My ear is many times better than it was then, and I can play things
I never could then.
      I just don't schlep all the equipment around as well.  By the time I
get the stuff downstairs, loaded into the car, get parked, unload into the
gig and set up, I'm ready for break.  If  I were a drummer, I would have
given up playing long ago.....I couldn't schlep all that gear around.
      Pat Cooke