[Dixielandjazz] Playing too long

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:09:57 -0500

Charlie wrote....
      >>>PS. Netta and I played a 4 hour gig this afternoon with Dave Baney
on guitar. No bass.  Just guitar and flute and clarinet.  Believe that?
Talk
about treble...!  <<<

  A couple of weeks ago, only 3 of our regular 7 pieces showed up for weekly
practice.  Trumpet, Drums, and me on bass.  No banjo, No piano, no clarinet,
and no trombone.
    I said "Let's play! Just give me a good drummer, and we have a rhythm
section.
     We had a ball!  We played tunes we hadn't done before (Yes, we did
Shadow Of Your Smile). Up things and slow things, and stuff in between.  I
can't tell you how much I enjoyed playing with just the drummer in the
rhythm section.  I really hate playing without a good drummer.
 Don't be afraid to book a 3 piece gig!  Or even two pieces....Remember Big
Noise From Winnetka?
     Pat Cooke