[Dixielandjazz] Playing too long

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:16:28 -0500

on 10/6/02 10:29 PM, Chuck Kercher at ekercher@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> Al Klink retired down here and played until he died with a drummer that we
> worked with until he also went to jam with Klink. We didn't get to this side
> of the state in time to meet Klink but Hazen Hunter the drummer gave me some
> tape that knocked me out. I never realized that Klink played combo music as
> he did. His tone was gorgeous and his ideas endless. Sure wish that I could
> have met him.

Klink (thanks for the corrected spelling) was just flat wonderful.  He
showed up that night with an impressive bunch of guys who were in town for
some concert and came down to sit in with Jim Beebe's "Chicago Jazz" doing 5
nights/week at Razzle's.  We suddenly had Klink on tenor, Ralph Sutton on
piano, Kenny Davern on clarinet--all guys who will get your attention.
Memorable night.

Charlie