[Dixielandjazz] Playing too long

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:50:56 -0500

on 10/7/02 2:09 PM, Patrick Cooke at patcooke@cox.net wrote:

> Don't be afraid to book a 3 piece gig!  Or even two pieces....Remember Big
> Noise From Winnetka?

Most of the gigs I book nowdays are trios, but usually it's bass, guitar,
and me on clarinet/curved-soprano/and maybe tenorsax--or maybe not.  I love
playing with just a bass--even more than with just a chordal instrument
without the bass.  For me, the bass is "where it is," and without one I'm
just not apt to have as much fun.  But on Sunday it would have been hard to
sub a bass for the flute: it was Netta's job.  I'm lucky she didn't sub ME
for a bass...

Charlie