[Dixielandjazz] How to Play 6-String Banjo??

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 00:31:54 +0000

Hi Nancy,

You wrote:

>Out of desperation, I did decide to buy directly from Mel Bay Publishing
>three music books/CDs of ragtime guitar arrangements of the rags of Scott
>Joplin & others, which would be my focus at this time.  I can tell right
>away, by looking at the combined music staff/tablature that this can be a
>very longterm project.

Seems to me this would be simply a matter of using guitar standard tuning
and playing guitar chords and fingerings. Most any guitar method book should
get you started rather quickly.

Does anyone out there play a six string banjo tuned differently than a
guitar?

Anyway, that's what I'd do.

Cheers,

Bill Gunter