[Dixielandjazz] How to Play 6-String Banjo??

StenoStar@aol.com StenoStar@aol.com
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 20:00:56 EDT

--part1_15f.151cd558.2ad0d738_boundary

Dear DJML Listmates,

I mostly lurk & learn from you pros about the highs & lows of your
profession, and attend the occasional Jazz Festival & enjoy your work & play
firsthand -- well, not first hand, can't even get near the stage usually!
But besides all that, I play at the piano for fun & amateur events, classical
training but now play ragtime for club meetings & ragtime fests.  Over the
years I've tried to learn a bit of accordion, violin, guitar (slide) and
assorted smaller objects (I'm glad I don't have to tune the tambourine, next
will be the washboard).

My latest proud purchase is a Deering 6-string banjo and now, how to learn
how to play it?!!  I have searched the Internet & gotten lost & stranded and
abandoned in places with almost no success whatsoever.  I specifically wanted
at least some training video and music books.

Out of desperation, I did decide to buy directly from Mel Bay Publishing
three music books/CDs of ragtime guitar arrangements of the rags of Scott
Joplin & others, which would be my focus at this time.  I can tell right
away, by looking at the combined music staff/tablature that this can be a
very longterm project.

My inquiry for guidance & advice from this list is, does anyone know of any
videos out there demonstrating how to play a 6-string banjo?  I need to SEE
how as well as listen.  And any other advice that you professionals might
have for this old piano player who doesn't have much of a clue?

I'm NOT going to send the banjo back to the catalog company!!!

-- Nancy Kleier
"Li'l Ol' Rag Lady from Pasadena"
StenoStar@aol.com
KD6AQH - Amateur Radio

--part1_15f.151cd558.2ad0d738_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Dear DJML Listmates,
<BR>
<BR>I mostly lurk &amp; learn from you pros about the highs &amp; lows of your profession, and attend the occasional Jazz Festival &amp; enjoy your work &amp; play firsthand -- well, not first hand, can't even get near the stage usually! &nbsp;But besides all that, I play at the piano for fun &amp; amateur events, classical training but now play ragtime for club meetings &amp; ragtime fests. &nbsp;Over the years I've tried to learn a bit of accordion, violin, guitar (slide) and assorted smaller objects (I'm glad I don't have to tune the tambourine, next will be the washboard).
<BR>
<BR>My latest proud purchase is a Deering 6-string banjo and now, how to learn how to play it?!! &nbsp;I have searched the Internet &amp; gotten lost &amp; stranded and abandoned in places with almost no success whatsoever. &nbsp;I specifically wanted at least some training video and music books. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Out of desperation, I did decide to buy directly from Mel Bay Publishing three music books/CDs of ragtime guitar arrangements of the rags of Scott Joplin &amp; others, which would be my focus at this time. &nbsp;I can tell right away, by looking at the combined music staff/tablature that this can be a very longterm project. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>My inquiry for guidance &amp; advice from this list is, does anyone know of any videos out there demonstrating how to play a 6-string banjo? &nbsp;I need to SEE how as well as listen. &nbsp;And any other advice that you professionals might have for this old piano player who doesn't have much of a clue?
<BR>
<BR>I'm NOT going to send the banjo back to the catalog company!!!
<BR>
<BR>-- Nancy Kleier
<BR>"Li'l Ol' Rag Lady from Pasadena"
<BR>StenoStar@aol.com
<BR>KD6AQH - Amateur Radio</FONT></HTML>

--part1_15f.151cd558.2ad0d738_boundary--