[Dixielandjazz] How to Play 6-String Banjo??

Elazar Brandt jazzmin@actcom.net.il
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:38:22 +0200

Shalom Bill, Nancy, et al,

Seems to me the point of a 6-string banjo is to allow guitar players to
experience making some REAL music.  :-)   [Oy, what's next? A 6-string
washboard?!]

But I think it should be pointed out that the right hand work (strumming,
picking) for a banjo, even 6-string, is quite different from that for most
guitar styles, even if the chords are the same. Banjo strumming requires a lot
of working of the wrist, while guitar players generally strum with the whole
forearm. Also, the banjo is not resonant like a guitar, so to produce a full
sound, more strumming and chord changes (tremolos, inversions, passing chords,
and so on) are needed, Otherwise the banjo will sound hollow while a guitar can
get away with a bit less work.

I think Nancy is right, that rag-time guitar would be a major point of overlap
between the two, but might prove too difficult and discouraging for a beginner.
Depends how well you already play the guitar. I should think that learning to
strum along with the standard tunes, putting in some basic licks, and maybe
working on scales so you can add melody lines would produce some satisfying
results in the short term, and you can take it from there as far as you want to
go.

I am not familiar with any videos or CDs personally, but I know they're out
there. Check with First Quality Musical Supplies (fqms.com, I think) or any
other source of jazz books and sheets. I've seen some advertised in the American
Rag as well.

Good luck, Nancy. Hope my ramblings are of some help.

Elazar
Chief Banjoist
Ministry of Jazz
Jerusalem, Israel