[Dixielandjazz] Canal + Sympony Orchestra

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:33:15 +0200

Well, we've finally made it!  We've been RECOGNIZED!...if only, at
least, in our own back-yard.  The Canal Street Jazz Band, last year,
closed the 30th. birthday of a large, Madrid Jazz Festival (which
features the top big names in the modern jazz world) having opened their
first one 30 yrs ago.  The fact that we hadn't been asked back in the 29
yrs in between sort of escaped the organizers.    :>      Nevertheless,
it was still a nice honor.

Now, we are being honored again  We are being coupled with the Orquesta
Sinf=F3nica de Madrid, and the Coral (choir) of Bilbao, in a concert in
Malaga (Med. Coast of Spain) in a concert honoring the life of Spanish
poet Luis Cernuda.  It seems that Louie liked early Jazz, and equally,
classical music.  Anyway, we got the well-paid gig, so who cares!   :>

Several months ago, I was asked to give the organizer...on the
spot.....a list of songs that could occupy the first 35 minutes of the
concert.  I suggested the following:

Jeepers Creepers
Jazz Me Blues
The Mooche
Original Dixieland One-Step
New Orleans
Moonlight Serenade/In The Mood Medley
I've Found a New Baby

As the concert is coming up next week, our pianist suggested playing the
set last nite at our regular Tues nite gig.  The set time turned out to
be 36 minutes!!  How's that for knowing one's gig?  I was spot on on the
time.  And, the songs fit very well together, giving the audience a nice
sample of early to later Jazz.  Ok, youse guys across the pond will say,
"where's Hot Tamale Man?", etc.", but we have to deal with a much less
jazz educated crowd here in Spain. =20

I shall report later how the gig went.  For the moment, we were told we
will have the cash in the bank the day following the gig, so things
aren't going badly at the moment......  :>

Jim

p.s.  I'm very curious to see how well the audience will settle down to
a symphony orchestra after listening to Found a New Baby!    :>
  =20