[Dixielandjazz] concert in Malaga

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:40:48 +0200

I mentioned a few days ago that we were to combine a concert with a
symphony orchestra & choir.  The whole affair was very successful.

The Canal Street Jazz Band was on first, before the orchestra.  We wore
our colored vests (horrors, some will say!).  This was actually part of
the organizer's plan, to separate our part from the tux fitted
orchestra.  Besides, we were representing the times of a particular
poet's life when he was a young man in the 20/30's, so the dress was
appropriate.

First pleasant surprise was when we were assigned our dressing rooms.
That's right...plural!  Each of us had a private room with our name on
the door.  The 200 some classical people were stuck all together in 2
big rooms!!  (he, he!)

We played a large, old style theater, with private boxes going up 6
stories in a moon shaped area.  The place was JAMMED!  At least, I was
told it was crowded.  Couldn't see a soul for the floodlights!

After the first solo, there was a splattering of applause.  The sort of
"should we, we want to, but don't know if we should" kind of applause.
We never speak before the first number, so before the 2nd. Song, I
introduced the band, and assured the audience they were welcome to
applaud, and that we actually loved it!  Plus, it was the only way we
would know they were still there, as we couldn't see them.  Audiences
don't realize the effect of lights on the musicians.  Anyway, all this
broke the ice, and it was a roaring concert, including an encore.

Yep!  I did the Saints....got the house lights turned on, and got them
all singing along.  I was thinking "try to follow that one up, you
tight-ass symph guys".  (Not really, just kidding!)

When we went to our dressing rooms, the orchestra applauded us grandly.
They could see/hear the concert on tv's in the backstage area.  That
applause also felt great!

We had been told that the audience was basically ours, and the orchestra
hadn't really drawn that many people.  :>

We then went to have a bite to eat, and as there were 7 of us (2
guests), the restaurant panicked & said they were closing!  (That would
never happen in a greedier country, but in Andalucia (southern Spain) a
relaxed life is what folks look for.  Anyway, we convinced them to feed
us standing at the bar, and it was delicious.  All the food in pans
along the bar, and you just say "I'll have another plate of that, etc."

Back to the hotel, out for coffee & desert, then while strolling along
(now about midnite), we fell into a pub that was really quaint, with old
sofa's, battered, stuffed chairs, etc.  AND, Oscar Peterson coming out
of the speakers.  Great accompanimient to a Drambuie & cigar.

No gigs this weekend, so leaving in an hour for 2 days in the wine
country (Rioja, Northern Spain).  The grapes are coming off the vines at
this very moment.  It is supposed to be one of the better years in
mucho, mucho tiempo.  We will see, as the reserve from this year won't
hit the market for 5 yrs!  Meanwhile, I plan to drink a few bottles from
1994.

Cheers, slontcha, salud.......

Jim