[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #342 - 20 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:22:16 EST

--part1_18a.11dfb558.2b162108_boundary

In a message dated 11/26/2002 8:18:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Dan Augustine wrote:
>
> > Folks--
> >      Intimations of mortality: just wondering what i'm going to do
> > with all my recordings when i die (hopefully not for a couple of
> > decades yet).  I don't have very many, compared with some/most of
> > you, but still. Guess i could just will them to my brother's kids
> > (i'm single), but they don't know anything about this kind of music,
> > probably don't like it.
> >      The other option is to give them to a university music school--in
> > my case, either University of Nevada at Reno, or here at UT Austin.
> >      But wouldn't it be nice with there were other options?  What
> > about giving my collection to an American Dixieland Library (not yet
> > created), along with other folks' collections, so that a great
> > incredible history of recorded OKOM would be available for fans,
> > kids, scholars, musicians.  Digitize them for posterity.
> >      Or, if that's not possible, how about donating them somewhere,
> > but then creating a world-wide database of dixieland collections at
> > libraries and such from all over the world.  That might be even
> > better.
> >      I just hate to see libraries and music schools get these great
> > recordings and not care about them and not use them and make them
> > available, nor have any way for fans and scholars to know they're
> > available.
> >      Just pre-midnight lucubrations and nattering on....
> >
> > Dan

Dan Spink replies:

I was wondering when someone would suggest a central library BE CREATED for
all the great recordings you people have. The only problem is, how can any
person get to hear all that music? Perhaps you could start a lending library
concept. Transfer to CD ROM (not that hard) and then for a membership fee
(which I would gladly pay) you get copies at a certain price of the classics.
I would certainly sign up for that. Anyone else?

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_18a.11dfb558.2b162108_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#3dffff"><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/26/2002 8:18:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Dan Augustine wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt; Folks--<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Intimations of mortality: just wondering what i'm going to do<BR>
&gt; with all my recordings when i die (hopefully not for a couple of<BR>
&gt; decades yet).&nbsp; I don't have very many, compared with some/most of<BR>
&gt; you, but still. Guess i could just will them to my brother's kids<BR>
&gt; (i'm single), but they don't know anything about this kind of music,<BR>
&gt; probably don't like it.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The other option is to give them to a university music school--in<BR>
&gt; my case, either University of Nevada at Reno, or here at UT Austin.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But wouldn't it be nice with there were other options?&nbsp; What<BR>
&gt; about giving my collection to an American Dixieland Library (not yet<BR>
&gt; created), along with other folks' collections, so that a great<BR>
&gt; incredible history of recorded OKOM would be available for fans,<BR>
&gt; kids, scholars, musicians.&nbsp; Digitize them for posterity.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Or, if that's not possible, how about donating them somewhere,<BR>
&gt; but then creating a world-wide database of dixieland collections at<BR>
&gt; libraries and such from all over the world.&nbsp; That might be even<BR>
&gt; better.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I just hate to see libraries and music schools get these great<BR>
&gt; recordings and not care about them and not use them and make them<BR>
&gt; available, nor have any way for fans and scholars to know they're<BR>
&gt; available.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Just pre-midnight lucubrations and nattering on....<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Dan<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
I was wondering when someone would suggest a central library BE CREATED for all the great recordings you people have. The only problem is, how can any person get to hear all that music? Perhaps you could start a lending library concept. Transfer to CD ROM (not that hard) and then for a membership fee (which I would gladly pay) you get copies at a certain price of the classics. I would certainly sign up for that. Anyone else?<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_18a.11dfb558.2b162108_boundary--